Smethport Web — by Hamlin Memorial Library
The Hamlin Memorial Library is closing out the year with a record number of patrons and visitors using the facility, a level not experienced since the opening at its present location in 1990.
The library has already cut as much as it can to save money, but still needs your financial support as it continues to grapple with the long-term effects of the economic downturn with a “bare-bones” budget.
Here are some budget facts you may not know …
- The annual library operating budget has remained steady for the past 10 years at $55,000. State and local government provide a portion of that amount.
- Local government support from the Smethport Borough averages $3,500 per year and Keating, Sergeant and Norwich townships generally contribute another $1,250.00 total.
- Until 2009 state aid was approximately $12,600 per year. In 2010 the state aid was reduced to $10,151 per year. In 2011 there has been a further reduction to $9,053.00
- Overall state and local support is approximately $13,800.00 for 2011
The remaining portion of the budget comes through a variety of sources, including …
- Grants for specific projects – summer reading programs, computer replacement,
special collection books
- Two small endowments
- United Way
- The remainder of the money (approximately $30,000.00) has to come from fund-raising.
Every member of the community is an integral part of what makes the library great and your support creates many possibilities. Please send a donation with the form you receive in the mail, or donate today using the credit card form below.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY
Please consider a tax deductible donation to the Hamlin Memorial Library. You can donate online – any amount is welcome. You’ll get a receipt via email. The library is a recognized charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
If you prefer, you can send a check by mail at any time using this form.