Smethport is a borough of McKean County, Pennsylvania, and the county seat. As of the 2010 census the population was 1,655. It is also Pennsylvania’s first Route 6 Heritage Community.
Smethport was first explored by Dutch land surveyors in 1807 who selected it as northwest Pennsylvania’s most perfect town site.
The community was named after Raymond and Theodore de Smeth, Dutch bankers and business agents based in Amsterdam, who established their firm in 1736.