Smethport is a borough of McKean County, Pennsylvania, and the county seat. It is also Pennsylvania’s first Route 6 Heritage Community. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,655.
Dutch land surveyors explored Smethport in 1807 and selected it as northwest Pennsylvania’s most perfect town site. The community was named after Raymond and Theodore de Smeth, Dutch bankers and business agents based in Amsterdam, who established their firm in 1736.