Board of Trade
The Smethport Board of Trade was organized in 2006 to encourage new business development within Smethport. The Board of Trade works closely with the McKean County Economic Development Office.
Why establish your business in Smethport, Pennsylvania ?
The decision to relocate is one of the most significant business decisions you will ever have to make. Businesses relocate for a variety of reasons. Most common among them are economic factors − lower operating costs, better access to resources and labor, and more supportive local government. Employees will appreciate Smethport’s quality of life and reasonable cost of living.
Smethport is a good choice for relocating an established business or building a new one …
- Location: Nestled in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, Smethport is located in the broad Marvin Creek Valley that is joined to the Allegheny River by Potato Creek. The steep hillside slopes, and broad level expanses of the Allegheny Plateau surround Smethport on each side. Smethport is the County Seat of McKean County, which is located in Northwestern Pennsylvania bordering New York State. The town is home to about 1,800 friendly residents and was selected as Pennsylvania’s first US Route 6 Corridor Heritage Community.
- Business space: There are numerous buildings and properties available in Smethport that are suited to a variety of businesses – all at a reasonable cost to rent, lease, or buy. Internet-based businesses, consultants, small service firms, construction and renovation, natural gas & oil firms, woodworking and machine shops, artists and crafts people, B&B innkeepers and entrepreneurs are among the many who will find Smethport especially inviting.
- Air travel: Nearby Bradford Regional Airport connects to 88 domestic and 42 international cities.
- Proximity to major markets by car:
- Support infrastructure: In addition to an active Smethport Area Chamber of Commerce, networking opportunities are offered by the Rotary Club, Lions Club, Artists & Artisans Guild, and several social and civic organizations.
- Business-friendly government: Smethport has an agenda for business climate improvement and economic stimulation. It is actively seeking to attract entrepreneurs as well as established firms into the area. Lines of communication between business, government and community are always open.
- Internet access: Business-class broadband connections are available through Verizon DSL and Comcast cable. A major fiber optic trunk line is being planned and will come through Smethport as part of a regional network. The network will serve hospitals, educational facilities and government offices, as well as commercial enterprises, small firms, and entrepreneurs.
- Crime: Statistically insignificant.
- School: K-12 school with excellent academic programs, quality teachers and administration, and a variety of sports teams.
- Housing: Smethport offers a wide selection of housing that is affordable at all levels, including properties in the Mansion District. Property taxes are 40% less than in metropolitan areas.
- Taxes: Smethport has among the lowest taxes in the region. Fiscally responsible leadership has taken the Borough from a deficit position a few years ago to a budget surplus today — without raising taxes. While surrounding communities are experiencing tax hikes, Smethport will not raise taxes in 2009.
- Recreation: Smethport supports active lifestyles with an extensive land and water trail system for hiking, biking, canoeing & kayaking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and equestrian activities. Motor sports include snowmobiling and ATVing. Hamlin Lake is stocked with rainbow trout and is the site of numerous special events. Nearby are athletic fields and picnic areas.
- Quality of Life: In addition to its scenic beauty and recreational assets, Smethport is rated in the top 1% nationally for pure water; rated in the top 20% nationally for pure air – important considerations for attracting today’s health-minded employees into Smethport.
- Free advertising: Businesses, artists and craftspeople get free advertising on the Borough’s website. Broadcast advertising on Smethport’s local radio station WQRM is only $4 per message. Area tourism and marketing programs bring people to Smethport.
- Energy: Smethport operates its own power company and negotiates with suppliers to obtain the best value for residents, local businesses, government, and outlying customers. As a successful power company, Smethport is uniquely positioned to exploit alternative biomass energy sources as they become available.
Pittsburgh, PA is 3.5 hours away
Cleveland, OH is 4 hours away
Harrisburg, PA is 4 hours away
Philadelphia, PA is 5 hours away
New York City, NY is 5.5 hours away
Buffalo, NY is 2 hours away
Toronto, Ont., Canada is 4 hours away
Smethport Board of Trade
201 W. Main Street
Smethport, PA 16749